Renting a Property

publication date: Nov 7, 2011
author/source: Kate Faulkner, Property Expert and Author of Which? Property Books

Renting a Property

Landlords' Responsibilities

We are regularly answering consumer property questions for FREE via our Property Forum.

Here's a snippet of just one of the many property questions we have recently answered:-

Q - I have lived in a rented house and boiler always packs up and I had no water or heating for five days as the landlord always gets friends to fix whatever goes wrong. The house is full of cracks and the paint and plaster on walls in protruding and lifting in many rooms. He didn't have any insurance and gave me a heater to use, he said it's not his fault and he would increase rent to pay for the insurance ..... I need some advice.   SEE THE FULL QUESTION HERE

A - Most landlords these days look after their properties due to the high number of rules and regulations.

With regards to your query, anyone that works on a boiler or other gas appliances MUST be GAS SAFE REGISTERED, so whether the landlord has sent them in or not, if they cannot show you a current GAS SAFE members card, then you should refuse to let them do any work until they can prove they are appropriately trained.

It's not quite clear from your query as to whether you have moved out or not yet? If you haven't moved out yet, then I'd contact your local authority housing office and ask them to clarify the health and safety rules, they may come out at your request and review the property for you.

If you are looking to move out, you need to check your contract to find out how much notice you have to give, and make sure you do this in writing, ideally via recorded delivery. Make sure you have picture evidence of the problems plus a chronological list of all contact with your landlord just in case you need to provide this to the tenancy deposit company who protects your deposit as the landlord might try to withhold money.   VIEW THE FULL ANSWER HERE!


Email for a one of our FREE Property Checklists.

Do you have a property question? GET AN INDEPENDENT ANSWER! ASK US via our PROPERTY FORUM, email or call 0845 838 1763.

Get a helping hand with our new Tenants Service for just £14.99!

Property expert, Kate Faulkner, has joined forces with B&Q and other industry experts to offer a unique service, where you purchase a ‘property project pack’ that gives you:-
  • An A4 ‘how to’ guide (approx 80 pages), containing Dos and Don’ts, Factsheets, Checklists, Handy Tips and Forms
  • Access to Kate and her team, by phone and email, for any queries you might have during your project.

See the full list of Kate Faulkner's unique Property Services here!

Need help with a property problem? Have a question? Why not call Designs on Property on 07585 897128 or Contact Us via email.
Kate's Consumer Portal
FREE Buy to Let eBooks

Download a copy of our
Buy to Let Show eBooks
for FREEsimply click on
the image below

Buy to Let Show - download our Buy to Let eBook for FREE